Here are great strategies to consider from entrepreneur.com on how to successfully start your own online business. From drawing visitors to your website to getting them to actually buy your product or service, let’s discuss these proven series of steps that can help digital business owners achieve and go beyond their financial goals.
What successful online entrepreneurs have in common is that they have done the following to achieve financial success:
- They identified a need then fulfilled it.
- They create copy that sells.
- They’ve built a secure and user-friendly website.
- Wealthy digital businesses utilized Google, Yahoo, Bing and other search engines to send users to their website via pay per click (PPC) and search engine optimization (SEO).
- They have established themselves online as experts in their field.
- They use the power of email marketing.
- They maximize their profits by means of backend purchases and upselling.
Let’s break these down further.
Identifying a need then fulfilling it
A critical mistake that most aspiring digital business owners make is searching for a winning product first then a market second. Most successful online owners have started with the latter first.
To implement this strategy, look for a group of individuals online who are trying to find a solution to their problem. To find your market:
- Browse through forums on the internet to find out what questions people ask about and the problems they want to resolve.
- Perform keyword research by using paid or free tools such as Google’s Keyword Planner and Google Trends to find keywords that people are searching for online.
- Have a look at your potential competitors’ websites noting down what they do to meet their customers’ needs.
After doing these steps, utilise what you’ve learned then build and promote a product that’s better than your competitors.
Write copy that sells
Writing copy that will convert your website’s visitors into buyers should:
- have an engaging headline
- have a description of the problem that your product will fix
- explain the product and how it will help a customer
- a description confirming your reputation as someone who has the ability to fix the problem
- offer a strong guarantee
- create urgency
- testimonials from happy customers
- have a call to action; ask for the sale
The copy should emphasize how the product or service can address the problems of the consumer and make their lives a lot better. When writing the copy, put yourself in your client’s shoes and ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Building a secure and user-friendly website
Once your market and product have been determined, and the selling process has been finalized, it’s time to build your landing page or website. Keeping the website simple, engaging and user-friendly is essential for keeping your visitors on your website. Here are some suggestions to consider:
- Make it simple for visitors to navigate your website. The navigation should be the same on every webpage.
- Opt for one or two simple fonts.
- Utilize an opt-in promotion where you give something for free in return for their email address.
- Make use of audio, video, or other graphics only if it accentuates your message.
- Make it an easy user experience for potential customers to purchase from your website by making the purchase process no more than two clicks between a potential customer and your check out page.
Using PPC and SEO to get traffic
Using pay per click (PPC) to drive visitors to your website is the simplest way to get traffic to your website. PPC advertisements will instantly appear on the search pages of search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing once approved. In addition, PPC ads will enable you to do testing on various keywords that you’re targeting for, as well as headlines, sales copy, and pricing.
Not only do you gain visitors to your website instantly, but you are able to uncover your optimal and highest converting keywords to use in your content throughout your website. Doing so will optimize your website content for the search engines which in turn will help you to organically rank high in the search results.
Establishing yourself as an expert
Other than social media, a lot of people go on the internet to try and find information and answers to their questions. Answer those questions for free by writing articles on your website and for other websites will result in improved search engine rankings for your business. This will help drive more traffic to your website who can potentially turn into buyers. When writing for other people, the key is to leave a “backlink” or a link in your content that links back to your website.
To get a lot of backlinks, consider doing these:
- Provide expert advice for free by making content such as articles and videos.
- Include a “Share” or “Send to a Friend” button on great articles on your website.
- Share it on social media, and be active in forums and in social networking sites where your target market socializes.
As a result of these actions, you’ll connect with new audiences. In addition, websites that publish your content will contain your backlinks which in turn will result in higher rankings for your digital business in the search engines.
Converting your audience into buyers via email marketing
By having an email opt-in on a website, online business owners are making one of the most, if not the most important asset of their digital business – their email list. Since email subscribers have given their permission to receive emails from you, you would be able to cultivate a life long relationship with them.
Also, their responses and actions on every email that is sent to them are measurable, so emails can be tweaked until you get the desired result. Furthermore, emails are less expensive yet more effective than TV, radio, or print since it’s personal and highly targeted.
Anybody that visits a website and subscribes to the mailing list is a hot lead, and there’s no better way than email to follow up on those hot leads.
Maximizing income by upselling and backend purchases
Building the lifetime value of a client or customer is probably the most essential online marketing strategy to maximize your income. Many people who have bought your product or service before will likely buy from you again. All you would need to is to follow up via email.
Getting that first sale is without a doubt the most challenging and the most expensive part of the sales process. Therefore, use upselling and backend purchases to get your customers to buy more from you in the future.
This is done by offering products or services that match their first purchase before they check out and/or on the “Thank You” page once they’ve purchased. You can also offer loyalty coupons from time to time which can result in them becoming even more loyal to your brand.
Having an online business may give you faster returns for your investment than a traditional brick and mortar store if done correctly. By doing these basic guidelines, you’ll have a successful digital business up and running in no time.
If you’re serious about starting your own online business, but don’t know where to start, sign up here so you can watch our live webinars every Monday and Thursday at 6 PM PST /9 AM EST. Our team of online business specialists, coaches, and mentors will guide you on what the best products are to promote, and we’ll teach you how to scale your online business the right way.
Our business can be done by anyone from anywhere in the world. If you’re hungry to learn and to succeed in the online world, click here to join our team today.